Murphy-Wall State Bank and Trust Company, the oldest bank in Perry County, Illinois, was established in 1874 by W. K. Murphy, George W. Wall, and George W. Parker. Until its incorporation as a state bank in 1907, the bank was known as "The Exchange Bank of Murphy, Wall and Company" and also as "Murphy, Wall and Company, Bankers." Murphy-Wall is now in its 140th year of operation.
Murphy-Wall State Bank has enjoyed continuous growth and expansion. Since the first published notice of its total resources in 1881 of $76,585.88, the bank's assets have multiplied many times, to a present total in excess of $110,000,000.00.
The current banking location of our main banking facility in Pinckneyville was constructed during 1982-83. The staff moved from the west side of the courthouse square to the east side in March of that year. A staff of over 26, many of whom made the transition, continue to provide our customers with courteous and competent service.
Murphy-Wall State Bank formed a one-bank holding company, Murphy-Wall Bancorp, Inc. in April of 1994. Murphy-Wall State Bank embraced the advent of commerce on the Internet, and was the first bank in Perry County with an on-line presence.
In 2001, Murphy-Wall State Bank was proud to help Rend-Lake College construct a satellite campus in Pinckneyville. The Rend-Lake College Murphy-Wall Pinckneyville Campus opened for classes in the fall of 2002. A second ATM was placed on the campus to provide customers with additional convenient access to their funds.
The bank continued its tradition of encouraging local students to obtain educations that provide for their futures by hosting the first Job Shadow event in 2002. Murphy-Wall has participated many years in Co-Op programs.
On November 21, 2005, the lovely Murphysboro Facility at 105 N. Williams St. opened. The modern 3,700 square foot banking facility is a complete, full-service banking facility offering a special personal touch. The banking center services include checking and saving accounts, loans, 24-hour drive-up ATM, certificates of deposit, online banking, online bill payment, night depository, lock boxes, four drive-up lanes, and more.
Elkville State Bank Chairman R. H. (Bud) Havens, who began working at Elkville's bank in 1962, and his son Vice President David Havens, made a decision to retire from banking and merged the Elkville State Bank and their loyal customers into the operations and care of Murphy-Wall State Bank and Trust Company on May 10, 2013. The Elkville Banking Center became the second full-service branch location for Murphy-Wall.
In 2012, President and CEO Marty Davis, began his Chairmanship of the Illinois Bankers Association. The position is appointed annually and provides leadership to the Executive Committee, as well as assists in representing the association in Washington D.C. and Springfield IL. The bank was also awarded the IBA's Community Service Award that year for participation in community events and educational programs such as Teach Children to Save Day, Bank At School, and a recent partnership with EverFi in the local high school.
In June of 2013, Murphy-Wall's Chairman W. K. (Bill) Crawford, Jr was acknowledged at the Illinois Bankers Association Annual Conference for having served the banking industry for 65 years. Bill is a direct descendant of W. K. Murphy, one of the original founders of the bank. Bill's son, J. Joseph Crawford, also sits on the board of the bank and is the EVP/Internal Auditor of Murphy-Wall State Bank and Trust Company.
On November 12, 2014, Murphy-Wall celebrated our 140th anniversary with light refreshments to thank our customers and our community for the opportunity to be an integral part of our communities, providing special activities programs to help the region and its people.
Murphy-Wall State Bank and Trust Company continues to provide banking with TLC — Tradition, Leadership, and Commitment.